Sunday, December 5, 2010

Another uneventful weekend

Hi all,
John and I went up north this weekend to check on the cabin.  We have a sense-a-phone hooked up that monitors the temperature in the cabin and if the electricity is on or off.  We can call the cabin and it will give us this information and it is supposed to call us at home if either the temp has changed or electricity is off.  We found out that it wasn't working right.  It was supposed to call us a couple of times when we found out from our neighbor that the electricity had been off.  We couldn't even get it to answer the phone when we called. 
So we left Friday night around 5PM hoping we were going to miss the snow that was coming in.  We did......We got up there around 8:30 and the snow just started coming down around 9PM.  There was a little snow on the ground already, but not much maybe 2 inches.  We unloaded and settled in for the night.

Saturday, John re-programmed the sense-a-phone in the morning and then we left to go to lunch.  We then went to Walmart to pick up some plastic to put on the patio door for the winter and some food items for supper.  John called the cabin and did get the sense-a-phone to answer, so that's a relief that it is working again.   We came home and then John wanted to check to make sure that the ATV's started ok.  We can ride them on the road now for the rest of the winter.  He went over to Dewey's house to chat for awaile.  I didn't know that he had left.  I hadn't seem or heard him for awhile, and was thinking about going out to the barn to check, but then I heard him on the ATV pulling into the driveway.  During the day the snow was coming down on and off, some of the flakes were very big and fluffy...real pretty.

We did find Sarah & Matt's Christmas tree pole that they were looking for too.  Not sure how it ended being left up north, but I do remember it seeing it in the back of the truck after they moved to Amsterdam.  We brought it down home for them, but Sarah already told me they were thinking about getting a real tree this year.  At least they know that they have all the pieces now for next year.

We then made supper, beef tenderloin with mixed veggies and John had some potato pancakes.  For dessert we had Skinny Cow brand truffles on a popcicle stick....100 caleries.....yum! 
Sunday, John put the plastic on the patio door and then we got packed up and left around 11:30AM.  Nothing exciting on the way down and got home around 3:30PM.  Looks like we got some snow down here!!! John snow blowed the driveway while I unloaded the truck.  I was going to go to store to pick up something for supper, but nixed that and ended up making hot dogs and left overs for supper.
This coming week we have to get going and get some Christmas presents bought so we are not rushing around at the last minute.  We have a list of what we want to buy, so hopefully it shouldn't take too long.
I have a few things that I have to make as in crafts...I don't want to say too much more because some of them will be Christmas presents.

Oh, I do have some news that will be changing the inside look of the Winters homestead.  Several changes to the rec room downstairs: New 2nd bathroom, 2 more windows on the west side of the house (more light..yeah!), new carpeting & wall taken down to make the room larger.  In the kitchen we are enlarging the dining area & new countertops and lastly, putting in a gas insert in the existing fireplace.  I'm so excited!  Can't wait to see how it turns out.
That's it for now...Hope everyone has a good week.

No comments: